June 3–4, 2017
Application & Payment Deadline: Saturday, April 15, 2017
TWO (2) STEPS FOR APPLYING TO THIS WORKSHOP
|Meals for Your Guests||Saturday Lunch||Saturday Dinner||Sunday Lunch|
Coach concert, dinner and optional freelancing: $35.
This option is available through cmnc.brownpapertickets.com. Use this option if you are not attending the workshop, but would like to join workshop participants for the coaches’ concert at 5:45, followed by dinner and optional freelancing.
Financial Aid is available to current CMNC members. Financial aid recipients pay only the $25 fee to COM.
Membership dues are $35 annually.
Login and look at your Member Account's Membership Details to determine if you are a paid-up member.
If not current, please complete membership payment BEFORE applying for the workshop. You need to be a paid-up member before the system can save you money by giving you the reduced member fees.
Non-member has joined our mailing list, includes anyone not a paid-up member.
Guest is not playing at this workshop and will join you for meal(s).
We also invite you to make a donation to CMNC at this time.
For this workshop we will have coaching for all participants on Saturday and Sunday. You may attend as an individual, or as a preformed group one day or both days.
We are not offering the Sunday format of non-coached reading sessions, as the number of people who sign up for this has become too small to make groups. Instead, we are expanding freelancing opportunities for all participants. We encourage you to enjoy freelancing on Saturday night, and read to your heart’s content.
- Saturday participants: Arrive at 8:15–8:45 Saturday, to register and chat before 9:00 start time and Orientation Meeting.
- Saturday will consist of a full day coached session, lunch and a performance sampler (4:00-5:30).
- Saturday will also include a coaches' concert by CMNC favorites Burke Schuchmann, cello, and Yael Ronen, flute, along with their friend, violinist George Hayes (5:45-6:30), dinner and freelancing thereafter.
- Sunday Participants: Arrive at 8:15–8:45 Saturday, to register and chat before 9:00 start time and Orientation Meeting. Sunday will consist of a full day coached session and lunch.
- The Sunday session will end at 4:00 with an optional performance sampler at 4:15. All groups are encouraged to perform the work they were coached on. Those not performing are welcome to stay and listen, or to leave at 4pm.
- Lunches and Saturday dinner included in registration fee
- Freelancing is encouraged Saturday evening, and at lunchtimes on both days. The CMNC Library music is available).
- Players not participating in the workshop are warmly invited to join workshop participants to freelance Saturday evening. Purchase a ticket, which includes the coaches’ concert and dinner, through cmnc.brownpapertickets.com.
- Instrument storage: Security room provided for meals and coaches' concert.
- Coach's request: measure-number your parts and score
- Rooms may be cold, so prepare: dress in layers, bring sweaters, jackets, fingerless gloves, hats, whatever will help you to play in cold rooms, even a space heater.
- Consider bringing seat cushions if you might find some chairs uncomfortable.
- Please bring a music stand (there will be a few extra stands in CMNC's Library room if you forget).
- Before attending, please read Preparing for a Workshop
- A Note about Workshop Fees
We consider all applications up to the deadline date, but sometimes have to waitlist or accept participants only one day to manage instrument balance. We are also limited by the number of rooms we are allowed to use at each of our venues.
Whether you are applying for one day or both days, please indicate on the application if you (and/or your preformed group) can attend either day. This will be greatly appreciated and your acceptance possibly might hinge on your flexibility. Of course, if you can only attend one day, we will make an effort to accommodate you.
- If you apply as an Individual, we will assign you to groups and provide music for you on both Saturday and Sunday.
- A limited number of Preformed* Groups
will be accepted for the workshop. Applicants can apply as a preformed
group for one or both days for the June workshop only.
- Preformed groups must provide their own music and a score for the coach (even if the score is a piano part, an additional copy must be provided).
- Minimum group size is a trio. Preference may be given to larger groups depending on the number of applicants and available rooms.
- All members of preformed groups must be listed on the initial application and all applications must be submitted, including payment, by the deadline of Saturday, April 15, 2017.
- If a player in a preformed group needs to cancel, it is the responsibility of the group members to recruit for replacement player(s). The CMNC workshop committee does not recruit for preformed groups.
- Less experienced players are invited to consider pre-forming groups. Although this requires a bit more effort to form the group, many have found that it enhances both enjoyment and learning from our valued coaches.
- Everyone (each player) must be a registered participant in order to be covered by our insurance.
*Preformed: a chamber music group, trio or larger, formed by individuals outside of the workshop. For example, you and three friends have been playing together as a quartet and your group would like to attend the workshop to receive coaching.
Your group decides on the piece, perhaps a movement or more, works on it prior to the workshop, and comes prepared to be coached, bringing your parts and a separate score for the coach.
Application and Payment Deadline: Saturday, April 15, 2017
Please pay the workshop fee when you apply. Fees for any day(s) that you are waitlisted will be refunded in full prior to the workshop.
We will email every applicant an acceptance/regrets notice by Thursday, April 27. 2017. If yours has not arrived by Sunday, April 30, 2017, please contact us.
If you are accepted, we are planning on your presence, and it is crucial that you come.
- If you cannot come, please notify us, the earlier the better. Your cancellation is not official until we acknowledge it, so you have confirmation that your message was received.
ensure a workable instrument balance, some applicants may be accepted
for only one day or wait-listed subject to cancellations.
- For example, there are a limited number of pianos, so we may not be able to accept all the pianists who apply.
- Assignments will be discussed with pianists about 3 weeks before the workshop.
- Because both days are coached, participants will be notified of both Saturday and Sunday group assignments at least 2 weeks before the workshop.
- A section in our Links page suggests the likeliest places to quickly obtain music
- A roster will be available to accepted applicants to facilitate communication and possible pre-workshop rehearsal.
If you are wait-listed, your payment will be refunded in full; we will contact you if the workshop balance changes.
- If you cancel on or before Friday, April 21, 2017, you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel between April 22 and May 12, 2017, you will receive a 50% refund.
- If you cancel on or after Saturday, May 13, 2017, there is no refund except for medical and family emergencies.
If you must cancel, contact us. If we don't respond quickly, keep trying until we confirm your cancellation.
available Saturday evening after dinner until 10:00 pm, and during lunch times.
- FAQ: What is Freelancing? Please read explanation and ground rules
- Table with room signup list and freelance sheets is near the Registration table
- Each group should sign up for a room
- Rooms with pianos should be reserved by piano groups
- Use a Freelance signup sheet if you want to play a piece but you need players
- CMNC library of chamber music scores and parts will be available for freelancing and assignments -- over 1200 items for 3 to 16 players. Look at our online listing.
requires a reasonable level of technical competence and previous familiarity with chamber music.
- True beginners are not likely to be adequately prepared for the experience of playing at the workshop.
- If you are a beginner, we encourage you to form chamber groups at home in order to gain self-confidence and some familiarity with the literature before applying to play at an organized workshop.
- CMNC members receive a directory of all members, which will help you in forming groups for this purpose.
- CMNClist is another good way to find fellow players.
- CMNC also recommends the chamber music classes for adults at the Crowden school
- See Gaining Chamber Music Experience
- To ensure a workable instrument balance, the workshop may have to set specific quotas of various instruments and playing abilities.
For any questions, please contact us.
- About KTD campus
835 College Ave.
Kentfield, CA 94904
- Google map
- KTD Campus map online
- KTD Campus map (pdf)
- Directions to COM (Kentfield) from Highway 101
From Highway 101, take the
San Anselmo exit (northbound)
Sir Francis Drake Blvd. exit (southbound)
and follow Sir Francis Drake Blvd (past College Ave, the seventh stoplight)
Stay on Sir Francis Drake Blvd., turn left on Laurel Ave for Performing Arts Building, Fine Arts Building, and Fusselman Hall.
- Parking - Community Ed
Parking is no longer free on Saturday. You must have a permit or purchase a $4 permit (machines take quarters or dollar bills or credit cards). Permit must be visible on dashboard.
Sundays are free.
- Park in college parking lots.
- Please check back for any changes in parking details.
- COM's Transportation Options
- Check http://traffic.511.org/index or your favorite traffic news source for any relevant traffic notices
- Download Adobe Reader to view pdf files
- Hotels near COM - TripAdvisor listings
- Hotels closest to Kentfield - HotelGuides
- AirBNB private homes etc.
Paste in or type in:
college of marin 94904
Despite increasing costs, our COM fees are just $5/day more than in 2015, thanks to the CMNC Challenge donations.