October 1–2, 2016
Coach's request: measure-number your parts and score
List of total number of measures in each movement for many chamber works
How to number measures
SFSU - San Francisco State University's Parking, Directions, Maps
CMNC workshop venues, campus
Morrison Artists Series (SF State)
Free chamber music concerts, with master classes and pre-concert talks
(see link for details)
T B A
Effective workshop participation requires
reasonable level of technical competence and previous
familiarity with chamber music. High technical
proficiency can compensate to some extent for lack of
chamber music experience, but sight-reading skill is
- We wish to encourage our intermediate players to consider pre-forming groups, which, although requiring a bit more effort, we feel really enhances both enjoyment and learning from our valued coaches.
- True beginners are not likely to be adequately
prepared for the experience of playing at the
- If you are a beginner, we encourage you to form
chamber groups at home in order to gain
self-confidence and some familiarity with the
literature before applying to play at an organized
- After becoming part of a group, work on some music.
Sight-read some, work in depth on some. Agree on a piece
you've worked on in depth and sign up for a CMNC workshop as a pre-formed group, trio or larger.
- Beginning chamber musicians can increase their chances of being accepted to a workshop if they come as a preformed group.
- CMNC members receive a directory of all members,
which will help you in forming groups for this
is another good way to find fellow players.
- CMNC also recommends the chamber
music classes for
adults at the Crowden school
- To ensure a workable instrument balance, the
workshop may have to set specific quotas of various
instruments and playing abilities.
- See Suggestions for Gaining Chamber Music Experience