February 25–26, 2017
CMNC, OLLI and SFSU -- A new relationship (2016 Newsletter Gem)
Coach's request: measure-number your parts and score
List of total number of measures in each movement for many chamber works
How to number measures
SFSU - San Francisco State University's Parking, Directions, Maps
CMNC workshop venues, campus
Morrison Artists Series (SF State)
Free chamber music concerts, with master classes and pre-concert talks
(see link for details)
June 3-4, 2017 -
College of Marin, Kentfield
Effective workshop participation requires
a reasonable level of technical competence and previous
familiarity with chamber music.
- We wish to encourage our intermediate players to consider pre-forming groups, which, although requiring a bit more effort, we feel really enhances both enjoyment and learning from our valued coaches.
- True beginners are not likely to be adequately
prepared for the experience of playing at the
- If you are a beginner, we encourage you to form
chamber groups at home in order to gain
self-confidence and some familiarity with the
literature before applying to play at an organized
- After becoming part of a group, work on some music.
Sight-read some, work in depth on some. Agree on a piece
you've worked on in depth and sign up for a CMNC workshop as a pre-formed group, trio or larger.
- Beginning chamber musicians can increase their chances of being accepted to a workshop if they come as a preformed group.
- CMNC members receive a directory of all members,
which will help you in forming groups for this
is another good way to find fellow players.
- CMNC also recommends the chamber
music classes for
adults at the Crowden school
- To ensure a workable instrument balance, the
workshop may have to set specific quotas of various
instruments and playing abilities.
- See Suggestions for Gaining Chamber Music Experience